Saturday, March 8, 2008

A CHANCE ENCOUNTER

WITH THE ‘BEAST’ OF LANCE LAKE

On my drive home, back into the woods and by the lake, I came upon an eight hundred pound bull Elk in the middle of the road

He was chewing some grass as though he had no cares. It was obvious; he was not going to move. This was his spot for the moment and the way he was so casual said to me "I'm standing here and I am bigger then you are so, go around buddy!" Actually, I think he was bigger then my little foreign car, but! Nevertheless, neither of us was going to give ground.

I sat and watched him from about 100 feet back. It was dark so I had him in my bright head lights. Then, a knave came to my aid in another vehicle of mass destruction (foreign too, I think). There we sat. After a few more minutes, I knew a battle was about to happen.

I, yes me, I took the first step, er, drive… er, whatever, never mind! It was then I b-r-a-v-e-l-y pulled up beside him. There he was about three feet away looking right at me, ever defiant, ever might and ever brave. He looked straight into my eyes and I into his (through the passenger side window of my car.) Both of us knowing what was about to take place.

There I am, the fierce, (but tiny) human, sheathed in steel (or plastic, I don’t know). LOCKed in a stoic battle of wills with a defiant and wild desperado… chewing his grass! Yeah, well, anyways.

We sat there just staring at each other, until… he could no longer stand the pressure. HE BROKE! Then, he tore up the hill at a gentle lope... and stopped. I knew it was not over. I drove up next to him again. Taunting him, forcing him to stare at me some more, and… I guess he did. He was a real competitor!

Picture this if you will: There I am, by back up against the seat… ready for the next challenge from this incarnate evil. My knave pulling up behind me to ensure him that there… was… no… escape! It was obvious to us both. The torment I was inflicting on him was having no effect!

Again, we went at it, and again he broke into his casual stride. He knew well who he was up against, I guess? Again and again, locked in the heat of the moment, we both move up the hill and resumed our efforts to determine who... was... the... Mightier!

Finally! Just as the sweat caused by the heater in the car began to break on my forehead, just when I was ready to give in to this Might Beast.... he blinked! Ha, Ha Yes, he cowered like a puppy and... and… turned around?

To this time I do not know if this was fear that caused his “change in position” as I supposed it or… simply his opinion of me. Regardless! He eventually retreated into the woods, calm and serene like the majestic champion he is.

I am not sure who was the mightier, he or I, but I knew he was now safe, yes, safe! He was safe from the weak among us who could not accept the challenge of the beast and instead choose to scream cowardly and crash violently into this magestic animal. The triumph I felt at that moment was Raw Power! Wow, what I MAN I am!

This is a true story, slightly embellished.

It truly was most spectacular to see this beautiful animal, free to roam, so very close.


by Jeff Katke January 25, 2008

No comments: